Heeding God’s Call’s public attention to Colosimo’s practices leads to action by federal authorities. US Attorney and ATF announce that Colosimo’s will be forced to close due to knowingly selling to straw buyers – exactly AS Heeding contended.
On September 22, the day after Heeding’s prayer vigil and in front of Colosimo’s Gun Center, the US Attorney for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania announced that the store’s owner James Colosimo, had been charged in federal court with knowingly and repeatedly selling firearms to straw purchasers. The charges dramatically confirmed what Heeding had been saying all along.
The US Attorney cited an investigation pursued by ATF from 2004 to 2007 and several instances of obvious straw buying uncovered during its term. Over the following days Colosimo appeared in court to enter a guilty plea and to turn in his federal firearms retail license (FFL). The court made clear that Colosimo would be prohibited from regaining an FFL in future. The US Attorney announced that Colosimo would sell his existing inventory to other licensed dealers.
As stated by Rev. Isaac Miller, co-founder of Heeding God’s Call, there is little doubt that it was Heeding’s public pressure that caused the feds to finally act to close Colosimo’s.
- Philadelphia Inquirer – 9-23-09 – Colosimo’s to close
- Philadelphia Daily News – 9-23-09 – Feds say Colosimo’s sold to straw buyers
- Philadelphia Daily News – 9-24-09 – Colosimo’s to close
- KYW Radio – 9-28-09 – Colosimo pleads guilty to allowing straw purchases
- Philadelphia Inquirer – 9-29-09 – Colosimo’s closing imminent
- Philadelphia Daily News – 9-29-09 – Colosimo to lose license
- Philadelphia Inquirer – 9-30-09 – End of era at notorious Philadelphia gun shop